New VV software

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 3 17:50:59 CST 2000

Just so you don't get complacent about SC2k, I've got a new release of the
Venues software and media tools, both on Windows and Linux. For those who
have built from the CDROM, this is an incremental upgrade. For those who
are running the original software, there may be some things to be
uninstalled. I'm not sure how many folks are in the latter category.

The software download page has been updated with the new content (yah, I
know, that page is getting pretty crufty. Needs a re-do too).

Important links are:

New VV software, Windows side:
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/AG/Software/NT/ag-2000-1103.exe

New AG-Linux CDROM .iso image:
ftp://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/AG/redhat-2000-1103-1529.iso

Linux RPM update script:
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/AG/Software/Linux/vv-update

Included in this new release is support for per-room ACLs and secure
distribution of encryption keys. For secure AG demos this week, we'll need
to know what VV login names folks are going to be using at their various
nodes. Please send them along to me so that we can have the info needed to
set up the appropriate ACLs for demos.

The MMX-accelerated JPEG decoder is also included in the new Direct Draw
vic on the Windows side.

I arrive in Dallas around 8:30pm tomorrow night, and will probably be
heading to the show floor when I get in. I'll have a CDROM or two with the
new software. You can reach my via cell at (630) 878-2540. Mail to
olson-pager at mcs.anl.gov will end up at my phone as well.

See you in Dallas,
--bob