JPEG at SC

Terry Disz disz at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 2 10:13:40 CST 2000

Hi,

SC is having another network challenge this year and we would like the AG to
participate. The idea is to demonstrate an application that uses lots of
bandwidth, something we all have doing all year.

We have Motion Jpeg working which will provide a full 640x480 x 30fps video
at 5 to 10 Mbps. It requires the use of a commodity capture card to send,
and a new version of vic to receive. We will have enough cards to loan at SC
for everyone who wants to participate and I hope all who have an AG node
there will consider being a part of this (I think ANL, BU, UNM and NCSA will
have nodes, any one else?).

All nodes not at SC are welcome to join in and contribute video streams as
well. The vic required to decode the new JPEG is in the latest zipped
distribution found at the AG web site. When we get set up in Dallas, we will
send out mail about testing times, etc.

Please let me know if you would like to be a JPEG sender and we can loan you
a card. It goes in the audio machine and requires driver installs and will
probably require kernel rebuilds, so bring your audio license info with you.
We can help with all this on Monday and Tuesday.

Join in and let's see if we can win a prize for the AG.

See you in Dallas,

Terry