test cruise wednesday 3/22

Terry Disz disz at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 22 21:50:57 CST 2000

Well, we had an interesting test cruise today. It was pretty successful in
that we met most of our goals, but there was some confusion about where to
go and what mud to use and we had someone sending deadly video that seemed
to freeze everyone's vic.

First, as I said in the last cruise message, for these cruises we will be
using the waterfall glen mud, the Access Grid Hangout Room. I know that for
some of the mud newbies that didn't mean anything, especially since the
virtual venue brings up a mud window. That is not the mud we want to use
for these cruises. You should create a new world in your tkmoo and set it
for wfg.mcs.anl.gov, port 7779. Use the character you got in the mail from
Bob Olson or Bill Nickless.  We want to use that room for now because that
is where the network people hang out and where the other AG people hang out.

The virtual venue was working for most people, but it misbehaved when the
vics got frozen by that renegade video we were receiving from a mac (we
think that was the source of the trouble). Everything behaved fine when we
stayed away from the room with that video in it.

We had good video from both Kansas sites, and good audio from one of the
Kansas sites, indicating good network. Early, we had connections from OSC,
but eventually it got lost, maybe because of the room switching we did.

If sites are not yet running a beacon, be sure to go to the AG web site,
tech resources, and follow the link to the NLANR beacon site. From there
you can download it and install and run it on your video machine. These
beacons will help the network people keep track of the network status.

Everyone should also be running the versions of the mbone tools from the AG
web site. Independently acquired versions may not be compatible with the AG
software.

Good work today everyone, we'll do it again on Monday, 1:00 central. I will
investigate this bad video we had a send an update about what room we will
be in later this week.

Terry