Bridge extension

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 1 12:04:27 CST 2000

Due to popular demand and broken networks, we're going to give y'all a two
week extension on the bridges. We plan now to take them down on March 14.
Please keep us (either the ag-tech list or at least Bill Nickless
(nickless at mcs.anl.gov) and myself (olson at mcs.anl.gov)) updated on your
progress.

We realize a fallback plan is required. We'd like to propose the following
policy:

Bridges shall be used during a presentation as a fall back position
only.  If you are participating in an important event, please be prepared
to contact your organization networking folks in real time to resolve any
issues.  (Note that running the Java beacon is a great way to discover
these problems in advance.)  Getting office, cell, and pager numbers for
responsible network folks is highly recommended.

If, during an event, there is suspicion that IP multicast has failed and
that we need to fall over to the bridge, this should be announced in the
back channel mud session.  Simultaneously, your organization network folks
need to be contacted to look into the problem.  After a few minutes (say,
5-10) of network debugging, the bridges will be configured to accept your
connection and you can switch over until the event is complete.

--bob