UCL info

Tom Coffin tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 28 09:07:12 CDT 2000

AccessGrid may want to archive this site before it vanishes
or even better fund UCL to support it's continuation

>Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:03:19 -0400
>To: Tom Coffin <tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu>
>From: "George H. Brett II" <ghb at dast.nlanr.net>
>Subject: UCL info
>
>Surname: Crowcroft
>
>Name: Jon
>
>Title: Professor

>Contact details (address, phone, fax, e-mail):
>
>Department of Computer Science, UCL
>020 7679 7296
>j.crowcroft at cs.ucl.ac.uk
>
>Project Name: Toolsets
>
>Project description (500 words maximum):
>
>UCL maintains the freeware Internet multimedia toolset as well keeping up
to date copies of several network measurement tools. The details are at:

>http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multimedia/software/
>
>These are in massive demand with hundreds of downloads a day and bug
reports from over 120 countries a month. However, the funding for this work
has just finished. We believe that there is a strong case for funding a
programmer to support these tools for at least two more years as an
Internet2 collaboration. This is urgent and essential especia lly as the
last two people working on the project are now leaving for the US. It is
possible that their new employers (ISI/USC and AT&T Research) could be
useful collaboration sites.

>The tools will have to be customised to meet the needs of specific
research projects (e.g. human factor studies, new user interfaces, adding
IPv6 and PIM-SSM support, security etc.) and this work requires a local
technical expert.

>The funding sought would be for two programmers to provide measurement and
applications support for two years.

>Is it an Internet2 project (Yes/No): Yes
>
>US partner required or have (if so, please name US organisation): CAIDA
>
>Bandwidth requirements: 2 Mbps
>
>Funding requirements: 100K
>
>Other requirements:
>
>(Message internet2:21)
>To: J.Crowcroft at cs.ucl.ac.uk, r.bennett at cs.ucl.ac.uk
>Subject: statistics on the tools
>Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 15:02:08 +0100
>From: Colin Perkins <C.Perkins at cs.ucl.ac.uk>
>
>>From my archives of the RAT mailing list, we have 1298 messages this year
(of which 389 are CVS commit logs, the rest are discussion). Figure an
average of 6 per day, by my arithmetic. Breakdown by domain:

Tom Coffin .......................... tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu