multicast down at ku, may explain utah outage as well

Rogier, Gordon grogier at ukans.edu
Wed Aug 30 13:20:11 CDT 2000

Bill,

I interacted with Matt Davy earlier this morning.  He did not come up with a
workaround this morning to the issue, but in doing his testing he did
effectively resolve access (at least for the moment) for KU and Utah (really
more precisely transit mcast traffic via the KSCY Abilene router).

Side notes, Matt said specifically using the 12.0(11.3)S GSR code, they have
seen these problems on Eng 0 OC-12 ATM, Eng 0 OC-3 POS and Eng 2 OC-48 POS
interfaces within Abilene.

Now I know that Matt is planning on pressing Cisco yet today to see where
they stand on the bug identification and resolution.  I know that it's
Abilene's preference to try to move forward and not go backward.

Again, I know that Abilene is frustrated with this issue and is analyzing if
the best decision is to wait for a bug fix or fallback... clearly falling
back has implications on other services and work within Abilene.

BTW, I am also aware of another mcast bug that Abilene is working on that
relates to mcast across frame-relay on POS.  I have not seen or been aware
of any effect this has had on the AG.... I think it mainly relates to mcast
service points that are not part of the AG sites.

:grogier.