Questions on design...

Tom Coffin tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 26 08:12:45 CDT 2000

At 05:20 PM 4/25/00 -0600, Jeff W. Boote wrote:

   >> 1) Crestron e-control or AMX, these are systems that let you control
stuff
   >> from computers or touchpads (they sell software and components)
   >
   >Since this has come up...
   >
   >We are in the process of designing a new visualization lab, and we have
been
   >considering Crestron or AMX, and have been wondering how hard it would
be to
   >integrate something like this into an AG node. Has anyone out there done
   >it?
   >
   >We are planning on building an AG node, but we are designing a whole new
   >space, so the AG node is only one aspect of our use for the room. With
   >respect to this, I've come up with some questions after looking at the AG
   >web site.
   >
   >1. Can the AG control workstation share control of the Gentner with a
   >Crestron or AMX system? Is the "control computer" used for anything other
   >then control of the Gentner/audio mixing? If we are using Crestron or AMX
   >could we use that in place of the current control software?
You shouldn't think of it in terms of either/or when the Gentner and
an AMX system is involved - The Gentner's specializes
in echo cancellation - Your AMX or Crestron system will be an overall
control interface for your entire space. You could theoretically
build in gentner control through an AMX interface if you wish (much
like the plans to build gentner controls from a linux os) but you may
want to keep them seperate for simplicity.

   >2. Is the Gentner a capable overall mixer, or would we still need a Mackie
   >mixer for more generic use of the room.
   >
   >In the agspecs-new-colored.ppt document it lists: Mackie, Biamp, Intelix,
   >and Voicecrafter.  From my reading of the Gentner literature, it claims to
   >do all of this - true?  (We will probably add a Mackie in anyway, so we
can
   >mix in what ever comes up a little easier, but I was wondering if it was
   >necessary.)
A mixer is very useful for manipulating multiple sources of audio.
A Makie's mixing capabilities will outperform those of a Gentner.
I apologise for being contrary, but you will have far greater flexibility
in a multi-purpose room by attaching outputs of the gentner into the Makie.
This will also enable you to use the Genter for other activities in
the room like mic'ing speakers or incorporating phone conferencing into
your overall design.

   >3. Is the telephone interface used much for AG? The AP800 has some appeal
   >over the AP400 because of the additional inputs and outputs, but you loose
   >the telephone interface.  (And the amp, but I'm not so concerned with that
   >aspect.)
You can chain multiple AP400's together if you require additional inputs
and outputs - that way you can keep the valuable telco interface.

Tom Coffin .......................... tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu