Clinton Shiprock Visit Update (as of 13 Apr 2000 PM)

Frank Gilfeather gilfeath at ahpcc.unm.edu
Mon Apr 17 12:23:08 CDT 2000

All,

Our greatest thanks and appreciation to all - especially the Argonne
team and especially Bill Nickless and to all who worked the AG on
Sunday. I can't express thanks enough to the entire AG team and
especially to Argonne.   This was a great opportunity, which was chancy
from the beginning as we were not on the original WH schedule.  The
Dine' and UNM  teams need to know they were exceptional especially when
faced with mounting hurdles as the weekend progressed.

We have many to thank everywhere for getting this ready and many
personal debts to pay.  We may be doing a discussion with Dine' from UNM
tonight if we can, but at this point see no need for anyone else to get
further involved.  This is very very hard and very disappointing.  The
WH did ask us to set up a camera and broadcast video of the President's
NetMeeting session to the gym so others could see.  I guess we are going
to do that for them at this point.

Unfortunately the opportunity for the President to see a NetMeeting
interaction on a slow connection and 16 hops won out - a private company
set it up on Thursday.  That was the original plan of the WH.
Unfortunately we were encouraged by many including the WH that they
would add AG to the schedule.  They did not and so we were left with
lots of debts to many many people.

In the end, the WH group made our job of setting up the grid impossible
and I am told they will seal off the part of the building containing the
visz lab and the AG node.  We did put in 6 T1 lines and Dine' is AG
enabled.  That we will work on this month to keep going.

We learned a lot.  However we have a good collaboration of native
American groups in the SW firmly established and this further cemented
some key working relations.

Again thanks and many many apologies.

On a  very positive side many learned about the great IT needs in the
remote areas of the country.  The President is making an appeal for
networking and other IT support for groups left out of the IT revolution
- here especially Native Americans -  so much good will come from the
greater event.

Sincerely,

Frank

--