Clinton Shiprock Visit Update (as of 13 Apr 2000 PM)

Bill Nickless nickless at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 13 18:21:17 CDT 2000

I just got off the phone with Liz Frank, Ernie Herrera, John Greenfield,
Mark Richards, and a couple of other people whose names I missed.

The current plan as I understand it is for there to be 1.5 Access Grid
nodes operational at Dine' college on Monday.

One will be in a lobby area.  This one will be full duplex, Gentner, 2
projectors, etc.  It will use the 4-port display card.

Half of one will be in a gymnasium area.  This one will be receive-only
(both audio and video) but will also have two projectors.  The gymnasium
will be the place for the Media and other observers to see the Access Grid
in operation.  If we cannot get a multi-head machine for that space, we
will use multiple separate display machines.

Ernie is working on ensuring at least 4 total projectors, two each in the
lobby and the gymnasium.

The Cisco 2621 router will be installed in a third place, the
communications room next to the visualization lab.  Mark and William are
going to run a 100BaseT cable from the comm room to the lobby area.  THey
will also run a  second 100BaseT cable from the lobby area to the
gymnasium.  A hub will be put in the lobby area, and a second hub will be
put in the gymnasium.  I have one hub in hand already, and will purchase a
second one this evening.

Just to toot the networking horn: this is an excellent opportunity to show
why IP multicast is the way to go.  From a networking perspective, the
second receive-only AG node will add no appreciable load to the full-duplex
one in the lobby.
===
Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7     nickless at mcs.anl.gov