Audio loopback in linux kernel?

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 6 23:10:01 CDT 2000

At 08:38 PM 4/6/2000 -0600, Richard Coffey wrote:
>Along this same vein, I want to do the upgrade to the Sound Blaster Live
>Platinum or the Turtle Beach Montego II Quadzilla that we purchased.  Any
>caveats on either of these free linux drivers?

The answer to both of these queries is, I hope, ALSA plus the latest rat.

Karen, please try out the 4.2.1 version of rat per my earlier email.
Perhaps they've fixed the mixer problem (if not we can poke them and see if
they can check it out). If that doesn't work for you, fire up the rat and a
Linux audio mixer. Ignore the rat sliders and use the mixer to set the line
level to zero, and adjust input gain with the mixer.

Richard, I worry about non-support of the Aureal chip in teh Montego.
SBLive is pretty well supported under ALSA.

I'm aiming to switch the two ANL nodes over to ALSA machines next week (or
tomorrow if I'm really moving well). Hopefully things will go well and we
can start shifting other sites as well. Part of the motivation is the
ability then to support cards like the Midiman Delta, multiport card with
external analog to digital conversion for hopefully much cleaner audio.

http://www.midiman.com/Html/products/delta66.html

--bob