multicast help Mon 20th

Bill Nickless nickless at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 17 16:10:20 CDT 1999

At 03:22 PM 9/17/99 -0500, Wallace, Steven S wrote:
>Anytime monday works for me.

There is an Access Grid event on Monday, so we need to schedule a window to
do our testing.

Based on earlier email flying around on the ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov mailing
list, it appears that the Alliance External Advisory Council Meeting is
going to use the Access Grid on Monday, 20 Sep 1999 starting at 4:00 PM
EDT.  This External Advisory Council Meeting will use the Argonne,
ACCESS-DC (Ballston Center) and NCSA/UIUC sites.

The Access Grid operators would like to start testing video, setting audio
levels, and the like at 3:00 PM EDT.

I suggest that we start the Abilene multicast testing at 1:00 PM EDT /
12:00 PM CDT / 10:00 AM PDT.  The goal of this two hour maintenance window
will be to establish native IP multicast between Argonne National
Laboratory (AS 683) and the ACCESS-DC center (AS 5640).

Preparatory steps:
==================

Tom Coffin: please be prepared to transmit both audio and video from the
ACCESS-DC center starting at 1:00 PM EDT.  Sending audio from a music CD
would be appropriate and reasonable.

NCSA NetDev: please install Cisco IOS 12.0(6)S on the Ballston router
before this testing.  IOS 12.0(6)S provides the "A - Advertised via MSDP"
mroute flag that has been shown to be very useful, and should contain the
latest fixes.

A telephone conference call bridge is set up, starting at 1:00 PM EDT for
three hours.  Password: AG Leader: Bill Nickless Phone number: 1 800 857.7048.

During Maintenance Window:
==========================

Argonne (me) and NCSA NetDev personel will switch M-BGP preferances to
prefer Abilene for multicast routing between AS 683 and AS 5640 starting at
1:00 PM EDT.  Traffic will be generated at both sites on the Access Grid
Audio multicast group 224.2.211.167 and on the Access Grid Video multicast
group 224.2.177.155.

Ending Maintenance Window:

At 2:45 PM EDT / 1:45 PM CDT / 11:45 AM PDT a determination will be made
whether the Abilene multicast service will support the Alliance External
Advisory Council Meeting.  Hopefully by that time the Abilene multicast
service will be fully operational, and the Meeting can use that service.
Otherwise, Argonne and NCSA NetDev personnel will revert back to prior
routing arrangements.
===
Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7     nickless at mcs.anl.gov