MSU - Boston Chautauqua guest

John Toole jtoole at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 10 14:02:10 CDT 1999

Margaret and Jennifer,

First - thanks to all AG's help on this connection - things looked really
good today after the help from Argonne, Tom Coffin, Greg Cole,  and others!

Bob Borchers looked at the connection a while ago, and it looks like we can
give it a try, although we're not sure of all the logistics at the other
end.  We will finalize all that  when we arrive Monday.  As a result, we
want to not broadcast this too widely yet, just in case there's a major glitch.

The "script" for Tuesday, then would go something like this. Larry would
introduce all the sites at the beginning of his talk, but NOT Moscow
(hopefully, we will be watching from Moscow  at this time - it will be end
of day their time after our first day of the workshop).  If someone before
or during Larry's talk tells him that we are live, then at the end,  he'll
say something like we have another guest at the Chatauqua.  And from there
we'll be part of the International scene...We're holding a joint High
Performacne Computing Workshop togegther with scientists from the Alliance
and NPACI, plus several Russian scientists.

Communications could be somewhat difficult, but  I will be in contact with
Tom Coffin if necessary.  Vicki Jarboe will also be in Ballston, so you can
have her track me down if something comes up.  - I'm not sure of the email
connections, and we will be leaving Sunday, FYI. We are staying at the
National Hotel in Moscow   Tel. (7-095) 258-7000; Fax.
-7100), in case anyone needs to reach me, since I will probably be off
email at the most critical times.  On Tuesday, our group will be mostly at
the Russian Academy, but we will work out the arrangements with MSU, which
is close by.

Thanks.

--John

At 09:19 AM 9/8/99 -1000, Margaret Lewis wrote:
>WOW -- Moscow to Maui here we come. Can we arrange a time slot so we can get
>John formally onto the schedule?
>
>Margaret
>
>Tom Coffin wrote:
>>
>> Today at 9:00am est and 5:00pm Moscow time we had a
>> very successful and promising test between ACCESS and
>> Moscow State University. Fortunately, they were able
>> to come onto the bridge as a 'guest' - However, it would
>> be best to include their hostnames onto a vic and rat
>> bridge machine.
>>
>> video.nmd.msu.ru (193.232.112.59)
>> test1.nmd.msu.ru (193.232.112.21)
>>
>> _____________________________________
>> >Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 17:28:31 +0400
>> >From: Konstantin Chtcherbatykh <kent at msu.ru>
>> >To: Tom Coffin <tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu>
>> >CC: jtoole at ncsa.uiuc.edu
>> >Subject: Re: Fwd: MSU - Boston Video Teleconference Demo

>> >video.nmd.msu.ru (193.232.112.59)
>> >test1.nmd.msu.ru (193.232.112.21)

>> >VTC binaries is already installed.
>> >I tried to be connected to accessible bridges. All worked normal.
>> >except for the hight packet loss rate.

>> video.
Illinois
kent at pagergate.ru