Linux kernel revs

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 25 08:24:38 CDT 1999

Howdy. Just an update on where people should be with kernel revs.

The kernel (2.2.5) that comes with RH6.0 has some problems with video
capture stability. We strongly recommend that you either install the latest
stable kernel (2.2.12) plus the bttv drivers (which I will be creating an
RPM for pretty soon), or install or upgrade to RedHat 6.1 which comes with
2.2.12.

We recommend upgrading to RH 6.1.

I forget if I've sent this pointer out before or not, but there is now a script

http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/AG/Software/Linux/RPMS/update

which will install or upgrade the recommend AG RPMs directly from the ANL
website.

The bttv drivers that are included with the 2.2.12 kernel still have
troubles (two of the four vics that that I was running concurrently,
capturing from the four video cards, hung after not too long).

--bob