AG R & D meeting

Cheryl Zidel zidel at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 14 10:22:58 CDT 1999

I apologize that this meeting has somehow slipped through the crack.  I
would like to get it on the schedule as soon as I can.  With that, could I
please check your availability on the following dates for the AG R & D meeting.

Thu and Fri 12/2 and 3
Mon and Tue 12/13 and 14

Your quick response would be appreciated.  Thank you for your patience.

Cheryl Zidel
Rick Stevens' Office

Purpose: We are considering compactifying the AG setup by using three
plasma panels side by side. This would work well, we believe, for a smaller
audience and uses a medium-sized conference room space. The setup and
maintenance should be minimal, which may make this model attractive for
replication to many sites not able to do architectural modifications and/or
keep projector wizards around all the time. I personally find the AG video
unwatchable, so our first effort, as you note, should be to work on the
quality of at
least the dominant stream (i.e. the presenter). Dan and Jason have been
banging on the ACCESSbot to see how good we can make the video in a 2-way
setup. The AG is certainly a wonderful framework to build upon now, so
let's keep up the momentum if we can.....the next steps will be hard ones!

R&D planning meeting to coordinate continuing AG development work.
Technical Topics to be covered include:
1. Evolution and testing of "the AG hw spec", portable configs and testing,
extensions etc..
2. New codecs and codec enhancement, encryption, stereo, spatialized audio,
recording, HQ video etc.
3. Support for multiple indepedent sessions and session management tools
4. Integeration with Grid services including QoS
5. Interfaces to desktop tools, visualization tools, and groupware tools
6. Evaluation and HF testing..
We are also considering a tutorial and deployment discussions the day
before for those bringing up nodes etc.