Distributed Powerpoint

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 28 13:20:57 CDT 1999

I've put up a zipfile of the current distributed powerpoint stuff at

http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/AG/Software/NT/dppt2.zip

BIG CAVEAT about this stuff: it is barely at all release engineered... I'm
mostly releasing it because of the interest folks have in it. If someone has
some cycles for java development, I've got a ton of ideas on how to turn it
into a useful tool.

You'll need PowerPoint and the microsoft java interp installed on the machine.
I've found that the clean NT4 install on the new dipslay machine I just got
works fine.

To use, unzip into a directory.

Edit config.bat to set SERVER to the hostname of the machine that will be a
server for the dppt session.

On that server, run two scripts:
        start registry
        start agserv

On the machine you are going to drive the presentation from, run:

        master full-path-to-ppt-file

Note that powerpoint wants a full path, even if you're in the same directory.

Now here's the cool thing I just discovered. If you put the presentation up on
a website, ppowerpoint knows how to open it given a url. So, you could do
something like

        master http://www.somewhere.org/your/pres.ppt

On a machine that wants to watch the presentation, run

        client full-path-to-ppt-file

or

        client http://www.somewhere.org/your/pres.ppt

let me know if it works!