network problems

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 23 16:58:59 CDT 1999

>That's a very differnt requirement than the general network weather map.

Yup :-)

>The current rtpmon forks off from vic/vat and monitors a single RTP
>session. Are you interested in monitoring ALL sesssions?

We're interested in monitoring the RTP channels that are active as part of
an Access Grid session.

>The rtpmon may not be doing this, but it seems to me that estimating the
>receiver bandwidth is possible just by looking and combining the sender
>reports and receiver reports. (RFC 1889 Session 6.3.4).

Yup. We're just missing a tool to do it for us :-)

>I haven't used it, but "pathchar" by Van Jacobson is the one that is close
>(http://www.ncne.nlanr.net/tools/performance.html).

Ah, right. We should probably do some experiments and map out the path
characteristics between the nine sites in the access grid.

thanks,
--bob