Multicast beacon

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 20 11:57:52 CDT 1999

I have built a version of vic that will act as a multicast beacon for debugging
the network. It is a standard vic, with the X11 grabber, that has been modified
to send its status reports to a unicast destination (putnam.mcs.anl.gov/19021)
as well as to its multicast group. This, along with a unicast->local multicast
bridge on putnam, will allow us to get a clear view of multicast connectivity.
That is, if we senders in the unicast bridged monitor view that we don't see on
the actual multicast monitor, we know there is some missing connectivity.

At some point we'll need to put together some robust analysis tools (java media
framework would be a great base to start from on these) that can give us some
more direct answers about broken connectivity, but this beacon along with
rtpmon will be a good start.

AG Sites: Please start the beacon and leave it running as much as possible. It
uses the X11 grabber to send a low-bandwidth video signal to the multicast
group 224.1.2.4/20040 with a ttl of 127. Leaving this running at all times will
greatly aid the network folks in debugging any multicast connectivity problems.

The RPM is at

http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/AG/Software/Linux/RPMS/ag-beacon-1.0-1.i3
86.rpm

It installs the beacon into /usr/local/ag/apps/beacon with a symlink of the
executable into /usr/local/ag/bin/beacon.

--bob