Tiled and VA... FW: [mesa] 3DLabs Video Cards

Richard Coffey richardc at cs.utah.edu
Tue Dec 7 12:38:43 CST 1999

----------
From: Frank LaMonica <frankl at precisioninsight.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 13:31:54 -0600
To: mesa at iqm.unicamp.br
Subject: Re: [mesa] 3DLabs Video Cards

Richard,
We're working with development versions of XFree86 4.0, and it will
fully support multi-head in 2D when it is released around mid Feb. 2000
(according to the XFree86.org website.)  I've seen an alpha level demo
of something VA Linux showed at Comdex using 3 Matrox G400 boards in
both single screen and separate display modes.  The single screen mode
allowed windows to straddle a physical display, the other mode
restricted windows to only one display.  You might want to contact them
directly to find out more about that product.  It will take some work to
get different types of multi-head properly supported with 3D under the
DRI.  I'm not sure about any of the details (release dates or technical
specs) but I know it is something that our engineers are looking at.
Maybe Brian Paul can provide some more details.

Incidentally, I just want to make sure you know that all of our work
will be freely distributed under an XFree86 style license with full
source code available.

Regards,
Frank

 Frank LaMonica          /\    frankl at precisioninsight.com
 President/CEO         <    >  Precision Insight Inc.
(512) 378-3003           \/    (512) 378-3004 fax