[AG-DEV] Suggestion

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Thu May 31 04:58:33 CDT 2012

On 31/05/2012, at 5:35 PM, Salim Haniff wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> This sounds like the best approach.  We could have the script
> determine if the user has a command line argument/interactive input
> specifying the location of the AGTk python scripts.  If no arguments
> are supplied by the user then we use Tim's approach in the new
> AGpatch.py .  This should help the Windows users.
>
> An alternative approach would be to create a document telling users
> specifically where to edit the files using some editor like
> notepad.  While it is extremely laborious it should get the job done.
>
> Chris, I have a VM of Ubuntu 12.04 installed.  I could test out the
> patch package if you want.  Would you guys happen to have a fedora
> version available as well?

That would be great Salim. I've uploaded a package for 12.04 at:
     http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/debuntu/precise/accessgrid3.2_3.3-0r68331_all.deb

As with the Debian package, its not officially in the repo so you'll
have to download it, then install it with:
     sudo dpkg -i accessgrid3.2_3.3-0r68331_all.deb

chris

> Quoting James S Perrin <james.s.perrin at manchester.ac.uk>:
>
>> Hi Tim, Salim,
>>
>> 	I quickly ran Tim's script on my Windows XP 32 machine using
>> python 2.4 (as installed by AGTK-3).
>>
>> 1. Added code for WindowsXP*Updaters
>> 2. needed a 'self.' in front of the root_path_list in the
>> Windows*AGUpdaters.
>>
>> 	As there is only one AGtk-3 package for all windows machine the
>> location will either be:
>>
>> C:\Program Files\AGTk-3 on 32bit or
>> C:\Program Files (x86)\AGTk-3 on 64bit
>>
>> So XP, Vista and 7 can be combined if you wish.
>

> Quoting Andrew Danson <Andrew.Danson at newcastle.edu.au>:
>
>> Hi Salim and Tim,
>>
>> May I make a suggestion with the script?
>>
>> It seems from the feedback on the mail list that there is a lot of
>> variation between the different operating systems and sometimes
>> even between different versions ofthe same OS. Now rather than
>> having to script every possible alternative, perhaps it would be
>> best to make a sensible guess for each system as the default, and
>> allow users of the script to specify the path either interactively
>> (preferably) or on the command line when it fails.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andrew
>

> --
> Salim Haniff  (salim.haniff at uta.fi)
> School of Information Sciences
> 33014 University of Tampere, Finland

Christoph Willing              +61 7 3365 8316
Research Computing Centre
University of Queensland