[AG-DEV] SVN or GIT?

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Sun Jun 24 21:27:12 CDT 2012

Colleagues

Over the weekend, I was having a discussion with a colleague in regards to software repository in general.

Anyway, this bought up the topic of moving the AG code to sourceforge and using SVN.  It was recommended to me that a "distributed version control system" and that something like GIT should be considered over SVN.  Given my very limited understanding of either SVN or GIT, I was then brief on the benefits for moving away from SVN.

This topic was discussed this morning at APAG general test session and few observations were made:

*	Given we are moving the repository, it would be a good time to "change", if deemed appropriate;
	- Note, SourceForge supports both;
*	Given the AG project is "relatively small", maybe SVN will suffice;
*	Many past AG contributors have used SVN, so they will have to "learn" a new system (if switching to using GIT), if they contribute in the future;
*	We currently use SVN, once we get the "repo dump", will we lose all the "history" if we switch to GIT;
	- maybe an archive of history could be maintained;
*	Within the AG community - we don't want to change "because someone suggested it", or "for the sake of it", but because people would rather use it;

Therefore, I would like to invite a general discussion to the developer community on which would they prefer to use?  I guess, if we "get enough votes" for GIT, then it will be strongly considered.  Hence, have your say and provide feedback and "vote"!

Many regards,
Jason.

Jason Bell, B.I.T. (Honours)

Video Collaboration Champion
Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation
http://www.qcif.edu.au/

ARCS eResearch Collaborative Services
http://www.arcs.org.au/

Senior Research Technologies Officer
Information Technology Directorate
CQ University Australia
http://www.cqu.edu.au/

E-mail : 	j.bell at cqu.edu.au
           		j.bell at qcif.edu.au
         		jason.bell at arcs.org.au
Work   : 	+61 7 4930 9229
Mobile : 	0409 630897
Postal : 	Building 19, Room 1.55
         		Central Queensland University
         		Bruce Highway
         		Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia, 4702
Patience is a virtue.

But if I wanted Patience,
I would have become a Doctor.