[AG-DEV] RAT doesn't like Pulse audio

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Wed Aug 22 23:03:03 CDT 2012

Andrew

I experience the same thing.  As documented on the various Fedora and Scientific Linux installed guide install guide (see http://www.accessgrid.org/node/2579 as an example).

Cheers,
Jason.

-----Original Message-----
From: ag-dev-bounces at lists.mcs.anl.gov [mailto:ag-dev-bounces at lists.mcs.anl.gov] On Behalf Of Andrew Danson
Sent: Thursday, 23 August 2012 12:52 PM
To: ag-dev at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Subject: [AG-DEV] RAT doesn't like Pulse audio

Hi Guys,

Just a FYI if you happen to be a linux user.

Pulse audio seems to becoming an new and important part of many linux distributions for audio. I've been setting up a linux box to do some developement on and in the process of setting up RAT have found out that it and pulse audio do not get along. When pulse is enabled RAT uses alsa which gets sent through pulse to whatever hardware drivers are set up (on my system it was alsa). This is pretty silly if you ask me, and RAT started using A LOT of CPU and memory to the point where my swap filled up. fortunately the simple solution is to configure alsa to skip using the pulse plugin and go directly to hardware. Then everything worked normally!

Hopefully this should be of some use to you guys :-)

Andrew