[AG-DEV] Continual of AG services - Update 2

Salim Haniff Salim.Haniff at uta.fi
Mon Apr 16 04:24:19 CDT 2012

Hi Jason and fellow colleagues,

I quickly looked over this email.  It's quite in depth and it will
take more time for me to answer but I have some comments.

When it comes to commercial and institutional hosting it may be tricky
on my side.  I am already struggling with explaining why AccessGrid
(or open source technologies rather) are better for academic
institutions.  The current problem is various institutes have made a
financial investment into Adobe's Connect application so it will be
hard convincing them to spend more money on a "duplicate" product.
Even though the financial cost may be very small for AccessGrid they
are not interested in alternative solutions. Perhaps using Google to
store as much services as possible might be a better start.

If my memory about DNS is correct, only anl.gov can handle all the DNS
forwarding information.  But I guess it would be up to their network
admin to reconfigure the address every time the hosted service IP
changes.

I tried to modify content in the table but my email client isn't
co-operating with me so I will do this later this week.

I am in favour of Jason's proposal of isolating global and regional
services.  Certainly the bridge and multicast beacon could be
regionalized. The only pitfall, like my institution is currently
facing, the nearest bridge provider may lie in another region and I'm
not sure what political ramification this may cause.

For future planning, could it be possible to move some of the contents
of this email to a Wiki, like the table below, for easy editing.  That
way updates could be made easier and everyone can see them quickly.
Additionally, maybe some tasks and deadlines assigned so this project
doesn't fall too far behind.  I will again this week ask around if
anyone at my university is willing to help out getting a server for
supporting this project.  If not I could try setting up something on
my dreamhost account but the problem is the account does not have HTTPS.

Best,
Salim

Salim Haniff  (salim.haniff at uta.fi)
School of Information Sciences