[AG-DEV] Shared application programing environment

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Mon Apr 19 20:59:25 CDT 2010

On 20/04/2010, at 11:40 AM, krishna chandu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could anyone please help me know if the programing environment to
> develop a shared app in AG should be in Python or it can be in any
> other language like C++? I have gone through the developer tutorial
> which include steps based on Python. Is it possible to deploy a
> shared app of different programing environment on AG? Please help.
> Many thanks.

Well you could but you'd want to be sure its deployable on Linux, Mac
& Windows - thats generally easier using python than something like C+
+. Then you'd need some python interface between the AG toolkit and
your compiled application. An example of this (although its a service
rather than a shared application) is the way vic is used - its a
completely separately compiled application which is used in the AG via
service packages written in python. AG services don't provide much
interaction between the toolkit and the application though, so you may
be better off accessing your C++ program via a shared app. Depending
on the complexity of your C++ program, it may ultimately be easier to
rewrite the app in python.

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland