[AG-DEV] Web client for AG

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 27 15:28:24 CST 2008

Hi Luis:

I'm the tech lead at Argonne for the Access Grid project.  I'm very
interested in the work you are proposing, and have some comments:

- The API documentation has not, as you've noticed, been updated for
AG3.  This needs to be done.  I could generate documentation of the web
services interfaces fairly easily, which is necessary since there have
been some changes from AG2.

- There are a couple ways to approach a web-based client.  One is to
build an "adapter" between the VenueServer and the web browser; this
adapter would accept HTTP from the user, make SOAP calls to the AG
VenueServer, and return HTTP responses to the user.  I wrote a basic
example of this here:  http://www.accessgrid.org/node/971 .  Another,
possibly better solution, would be to make the SOAP calls at the client
using a JavaScript SOAP implementation.  Both of these leave open the
question of how to handle the audio and video.

It's a priority for us to update the documentation, but I can't promise
when that will be done.  If we can help answer questions in the
meantime, please don't hesitate to ask either here on the ag-dev list,
or by emailing me directly.

Thanks,
Tom Uram