[AG-DEV] Re-using node listing data

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Tue May 29 05:44:12 CDT 2007

Andrew, Paul and All

If I may throw a few suggestion and random thoughts in the mix, to try
and alleviate some of the concerns...  I have also posted this message
to the QA list, as a lot of the issues concern both lists.

Firstly, can I state for the record, the global QA process came about
from me developing a Australian process and having a lot of demand from
people to make it a global one....

The following items will be in point form, so apologises if it isn't in
depth.  Before going about the implementation, I would like to discuss
what we need.

*	I really would like to see the AGSC group be involved and
included, though I have an extensive number of various regions ready to
hit the ground running, it wouldn't be optimal without having all the UK
nodes listed and QA'ed.

*	We need to have a schema/data structure that is standardize
across the board.  I don't think having different tests/items on
different machines/DB's will work effectively.

*	In regards to the QA process, this really needs to be rolled out
now, if we simply delay to long, other tools will take over.  Example, I
know there is talk over one of our national bodies using another tool
(cannot think of its name at the moment), but it is like vic... People
are screaming out for a QA process and I know that this is a global
demand! Hence why I plan to start QA'ing nodes next week!

*	There is a need for people to go to a single site to view the
Node listings.  I would guess that 80% of nodes will use the
http://www.accessgrid.org/nodes as the first point of call to try and
locate a particular AG node and associated information.

*	The QA process (that I have been developing), to make it work
well, needs to be, and is currently, tightly coupled to the node
listing;

*	I would think that a lot of the information is static,
therefore, if it goes down, does it matter???  Unlike the bridge
registry for example;

Now currently my thoughts of potential implementations are:

*	Now we cannot change the fact that the node listing and QA stuff
is on the Drupal website, but I am sure that we can somehow plug into
the system.

*	Now these are random thoughts but:
	-	I think we can already export data from Drupal which
could be saved and then used to display local (ie UK) nodes;  This was
demo'ed at the retreat in which the node-listing data was used to
provide a world map and show where all the nodes are.

	-	The great idea in regards to the QA process is that
different people will manage different regions.  I won't be inputting
the data for all QA'ed node.  Therefore, the question I would like to
ask, does it really matter if you input the data on your local system or
the AG website...  Because if you can list your data locally, than is
this an issue???  You can still hold data locally, just input it on a
Global system for everyone else to see.

	-	One thing that you may be able to use to argue the point
for using this system, is that having different regional testers, you
shouldn't be required to test any international nodes any more.

*	Though, I do agree that having and operational window outside
our normal working hours is a problem...  Therefore, is any of this
possible:

	-	Can a mirror/failover server be running;
	-	Can external people have access to restart etc;

Now I hope that some of the things I have said makes sense...  But
please keep this thread going, as I really would like to resolve the
issue, ASAP.

Also, others are welcome and suggested to comment as well.

Thanks for your time,
Jason.