[AG-DEV] Re-using node listing data

Brian Corrie bcorrie at sfu.ca
Wed May 23 14:50:30 CDT 2007

Hi Jason,

I think this is a great idea, if we can pull it off. I think Todd
probably mentioned some of our efforts here to keep track of nodes that
we collaborate with and that are within our consortium. With a national
collaboration infrastructure on the horizon within Canada, this is only
going to increase.

I think the trick here is to create a data description/schema that
describes nodes that we can all use for a baseline. It is likely that we
will all have ancillary information that we need for individual
purposes, but if there is a single schema where this baseline
information is defined then storage of the information itself is a
secondary question.

The data could be centrally stored and other groups (the Aussies, AG
Schedule, AGSC, Compute Canada) can pull this information for the nodes
of interest as required. Of course another alternative is to have each
of the groups maintain this information locally (probably makes more
sense), and we have a mechanism/filter that extracts the "common schema"
from known regionally authoritative databases for the purposes of
centralizing this information. That is, AGSC, Compute Canada, Pacific
Rim AG, Main AG site, might store regional information and we extract
that information for central purposes (AG Schedule and the main AG site
knows about all nodes) as required. This implies there is a home data
repository for each site somewhere and information gets stored there and
is used by other resources. We would need a catch all site that can
handle those sites that don't have a regional data repository.

Anyway, just some thoughts off the top of my head... Good idea in
general, how do we make it work???

Brian