[AG-DEV] Re: [AG-TECH]too much Bitrate in RAT

Robert Putnam putnam at tonka.bu.edu
Fri Jul 21 11:54:23 CDT 2006

Reading recently about RAT crashes under MS Windows, I am reminded that
when I was developing my positional audio / window highlighting code, RAT
would routinely crash.  The error message often looked like this:

  Unhandled exception at 0x00430e5f in ratmedia.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
  violation reading location 0x00000018.

I was able to track down what appeared to me to be a race condition whereby
the waveInProc Windows callback could try to access a data structure that
already been freed in w32sk_audio_read.  Since fixing the bug [knock on
wood], I have not seen RAT crash in this way.

I don't know if other people's RAT crashes have the same cause, since I
only saw it when 3D audio was enabled.  At any rate, I'd like to make the
fix available to the community.  Source is here:

  http://scv.bu.edu/~putnam/ag-audio/source-2.4/ag-media-positional/rat/auddev_win32.c

And an AG 2.4 AudioService with the fix is here:

  http://scv.bu.edu/~putnam/ag-audio/ratfix-2.4-windows/AudioService.zip

Robert Putnam
putnam at bu.edu
617-353-8295