[AG-DEV] Re: [AG-TECH] AccessGrid 3: What information is available

Andrew Swan aswan at cs.berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 1 02:55:05 CDT 2005

(moved from ag-tech to ag-dev)

Steve Smith wrote:
> In particular I think the following would be major leaps forward in
> usability:
>
>         * Being able to change the venue in Vic and Rat without
>         restarting them

openmash vic has this capability right now -- it will switch
sessions if it receives a "SET_SESSION" message on the mbus.
there's a python implementation of mbus at www.mbus.org.  i
haven't tested its interoperability with the mash implementation
but in theory, all the pieces are there so this could be added
pretty easily to the various Video*Service's.

>         * Multiple video inputs to Vic (which would remove the necessity
>         of multi-machine nodes)

as i understand the current ag architecture, it wouldn't really
be possible to take advantage of a multi-input vic since there
is a 1-to-1 mapping of "resources" (i.e., video capture devices)
to node services.  if that is incorrect, i'd be interested in a
clarification.

-Andrew