[AG-DEV] Vic and Rat Encryption

Andrew Rowley Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Jul 11 10:14:09 CDT 2005

Hi,

I was using vic and rat from the command line and forcing DES encryption.
It turns out that I needed to generate the key differently and just use
DES/CBC/NoPadding to do this.

Doing some further experiments, unless I am doing this wrong, it would seem
that the DES encryption in vic and rat is broken.  I downloaded the source
code and then modified it as follows:

When rat initialises the des encryption, I output the 8-byte key to a file.
I then generate an array of bytes consisting of the numbers 0-63 in order.
I then encrypt this and output this to a file.

I then take the same key and the initialisation vector of 0s and run openssl
in des-cbc mode with the same key and iv on the same input.  This gives a
completely different output to that given by rat.  The openssl output is the
same output as is given by the Java encryption using DES/CBC/NoPadding.

I thought I heard that vic and rat were to use the openssl library at some
point.  Does anyone know if this is going to happen?

Andrew :)

Access Grid Support Centre,
RSS Group,
Manchester Computing,