client preferences

Susanne Lefvert lefvert at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 17 17:24:46 CST 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Ivan R. Judson wrote:

> Looks good, here're my suggestions:
>
> 1) try to use a general get(option) => Value, set(option, value),
> list_options() and see if that'll work. I know the type problems and
> checking can get gross, but this will be more maintainable over time

I'll change that, shouldn't be a problem.

> 2) remove unicast/multicast from menu, and enable audio/video

My reason to keep it here is to avoid getting a million users ask how to
switch over to unicast when the menu item gets removed.  But I guess it is
better to move them sooner rather than later.  Maybe add that as a
shortcut icon on a toolbar later.

> 3) move Manage My Node (without ...) to the top section.

Then I would like to remove "..." on every menu item.

> 4) remove "request a certificate" it's on the cert mgmt ui anyhow
>
> should My Venues be on the Tools menu?

I would keep that as it is for now since My Venues can grow long and would
probably look weird if it is placed as a second menu item under Tools.
You can say that My Venues is a tool but it can also be viewed as a short cut
that users should have easy access to (i.e. not hidden in sub menus).
Every browser I've looked at has a separate bookmarks/favorites menu and
since this is similar I would argue to keep it separate (not that they
are right but I think it feels natural for people to have that).

Thank you for your comments

Susanne