retreat talk

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 21 08:28:04 CDT 2004

> At 07:00 AM 5/21/2004, Rick Stevens wrote:
> >I think this is a great story that needs to be written up as
> a security
> >white paper and perhaps handed out in the session with the
> viewgraphs
> >focused in on subset.
>
> Yes, that was exactly my plan.

This is excellent and useful information for attendees. I think the plan to
hand out a whitepaper is very good; it actually generate synergy with the
security panel. I'm very concerned about the lack of time we have.

> >For a 30 minute slot, one should plan on talking for 20-25
> minutes with
> >5-10 mins for Q+A.  That means something like 10-12 slides ideally..
>
> Of course. I know that there is more than 30 minutes of
> material here. Part of the point of writing it was to explore
> the space; I knew there was more to be said than I have time
> for. Writing down all of what I want to say, and THEN
> extracting what I talk about in the limited plan, lets me
> focus on what is important, as well as having the story in my
> head in preparation for questions and further dicussion.

Unfortunately that would mean the paper would basically be done, since
slides are due today (in final form). This is why I wanted to stay in close
communication about slides with individuals this week; I'm very happy with
all the other presentations/slides, but this one looks like it has a slim to
none chance of having the paper written *and* slides generated by the end of
today -- and slides are the priority for now, the paper can be written over
the next two weeks.

Please try to distill this into a set of slides we can go over by lunch,
that gives you time to refine them further before we need to have them
finished.