Problem with GSITCP connection hanging

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 11 14:17:15 CDT 2004

Hi Bill:

We have a problem with GSITCP connections hanging between clients and
servers in the Access Grid project, and are curious if you've seen the
same problem.

The problem is that, while the connection appears to be working
properly, with the server trying to write and the client trying to read,
the send never finishes.  We've confirmed this state in gdb.  The only
peculiar detail about the connection is that we're using asynch read and
synchronous write, but globus uses the asynch write in the synchronous
write anyway, so I don't think that's a problem.

Ivan mentioned that you had been doing longer-term connections (20
hours+) with gridftp.  Have you encountered similar problems?  If you
haven't, can you describe the relevant details of the gridftp
connections so we can possibly workaround the problem we're having?

Thanks,

Tom