standard NTSC video as AG default

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 26 08:25:29 CST 2004

We have a couple of solutions, one software, two hardware. Bob mentions two
of them below.

The current solutions we have are:

1) OpenMASH H.263
2) RTPtv/MJPEG
3) LML Mpeg-4

The status on all of these is that they're stalled. There are two tasks that
need to be done to make this happen, which can be done in parallel.

1) We have to make our node services self-contained, that means versioning
them and making node service packages include the binaries needed to run
(e.g. vic, openmash, etc)

2) we need to do the work to see what software/hardware combinations make
the above 3 work and iron out wrinkles and make node service packages for
them.

Additionally, there is work out there that's better than this:

1) DVTS from Korea, already plugged into AG2
2) Our HD stuff
3) videolan stuff (NTSC+)

We do suffer from the codec problem, but I think it's easy for us to be able
to offer services that "cost" more (e.g. bandwidth) if we make the tradeoff
clear. It also forces us to address the more interesting issues of
discovering what a node is capable of so that we can issue warnings ("You've
selected HD video but only have 8Mbs of bandwidth, this will break.").

--Ivan

PS -- looking at the roadmap we have high quality video in 2 releases. We
should probably accelerate that into the next release, but to do that we
need a more concrete plan.