Venue membership via soap?

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Mar 20 12:11:05 CST 2004

Considering the difficulties we've had with the event service, and the
concerns people have about losing their membership in a venue (and
having their media tools shutdown), I was wondering if we should move
membership management (i.e. heartbeats) over to the SOAP realm.
Especially considering that the SOAP server is now multithreaded, this
could be more reliable than the event channel, and would leave the event
channel strictly to managing coherence.

This would simplify some services, too.  If they're not concerned with
coherence, they don't need an event client.

Thoughts?