short term bugs

Eric Olson eolson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 16 13:19:19 CDT 2004

Here are bugs I jotted down locally in the past 2 weeks -- just so they
don't get overlooked while i'm gone this week.

Current bugs (and a few fixes)
x (workaround) mime bug with strip() call -- workaround on 7.3 update to
    newest python2 rpm.
- A place on the web page (preferably from the download page) for release
    workarounds, patches, and/or known major bugs.
- shared apps don't always start (workaround, user installs .agpkgs)
    x (fixed in cvs) extra log file is being created in shared apps
      x (fixed in cvs) log file is going to system locations
    - python com registration with powerpoint not working for non-admin
       user (who wasn't the one who installed the toolkit).
    ? possibly appdatabase persists and overrides system (reported on
        windows at least) -- more likely it persisted from Beta.
- VenueClient cannot connect to server using a service cert (linux)
    I believe this is a bug, and not our policy yet.
- Slow to change venues in personalNode (at least in linux)
   sometimes changing venues fails, but this has gotten better recently --
      may be due to the venueserver.
   perhaps caused because rat takes a while to die, or more soap calls are
     made when using node services, or server issue.
- Linux package didn't include GoToVenue.py
? (maybe next release) Have the code check for what is valid shared app
   data on server, and announce it.
- Version the online docs
- Hitting the go button can result in multiple names in the venue on the
    server.
- rat defaults don't always get set (causes problems sometimes)
- rat service defaults talk to on.
? (maybe after bugfixes) VenueVNC Server could default to nobody
    being authorized.  At least it needs documentation and packaging.
- VenueServer Authorization
   Server admins are not automatically venue admins -- probably need tobe.
   VenueManagement cannot connect with service cert -- needed in case
       only the server's service cert is authorized.
- VenueServer persistence files
   Sometimes problems restarting ag-2 (it's cfg and dat were initially
      created with earlier toolkit versions)
      Somehow the default venue in the .cfg does not exist in the
         .dat.  Not sure how it gets to that state.
   To avoid problems failing in the middle of writing .cfg and .dat
      files, We should write to temporary files and then use a shell copy
      command to backup and overwrite the old ones.
- Some form of disconnect can cause a neverending reconnecting
   VenueClient.
- New NodeService tarball should be used in BuildSnapshot somewhere or
   include the step in the packaging documentation (if it isn't already).