[Fwd: Re: "Advanced Internet Videoconferences" (presentation by Tom Uram/Argonne National Laboratory)]

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 8 14:55:35 CDT 2004

While in Germany, I met with some people at the European Southern
Observatory (www.eso.org) about the AG.  As you can see from the
attached mail, this meeting went well.  ESO has HQ in Munich, an office
and two telescope sites in Chile, and a new office in Finland.  They are
looking to use the AG for regular meetings between these sites.

Beyond that, they are involved in large collaborations where the AG
would help them to work with their partners around the world.  Two
examples are:

www.eso.org/alma (Large Millimeter Array)
www.euro-vo.org (Virtual Observatories)

If things go well, they'll be asking some of their partners on these
projects to install the software and use it for their meetings.  Given
these contacts to other astro institutions around the world, there's a
good chance for growth in this community.

My friend at ESO mentioned that he has worked with people in Japan and
California by sending them images by email, and then talking on the
phone: "Have you got the image yet?".  He clearly saw the advantage of
the AG over his current setup.

Tom