Bielefeld AG setup

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 8 14:54:42 CDT 2004

I apologize for not sending a report about Bielefeld last week.  I was
busy with them until the last minute before I had to leave to catch my
train, and then was sick and offline for several days.

Ralf Nolte had set up the AG software on the laptop before I arrived.  I
was able to configure the software on the laptop with a projector and
have them sending and receiving video and audio quickly.  They also had
to make some changes to their router config to get multicast working on
the network they established specifically for this purpose.  Once
everything was setup, I walked the room of 10 people through the
software and they asked questions and everyone was confident that it
could be replicated on additional machines as needed.  (Folker talked
about setting up the software on a couple Solaris machines to backend a
multi-machine node, and seemed very confident; I told him he shouldn't
expect that to be as simple as it seems.)

They had someone preparing for a thesis defense in their main meeting
room, so we couldn't do anything in there during my visit.

I also spent some time with the IT group down the hall, who've been
trying to set up the software under SuSe.  We resolved some of the
problems they had, but they're still having problems with cross-machine
communications.  Anyway, they're working on Neuro-Informatics, and
they're exploring the application of sound to data analysis, and working
with haptic devices for data analysis.  Their lab looks like an AG node
already, and their work would--since it's so media-intensive--integrate
with the AG well.

Tom