Linux Packaging News

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 14 16:27:36 CDT 2004

At 04:17 PM 4/14/2004, Ivan R. Judson wrote:
>The AG Dev Team would like to thank all those who have provided input on the
>direction the linux packaging should take, and would like to encourage more
>activity like
>http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/web-mail-archive/lists/ag-tech/2004/04/msg00111.
>html in response to our requests for information.
>
>Our plans for linux packaging are broadly to supply base distribution
>materials, and a small number of end-user distributions. Additionally, work
>with others to take the base distribution materials and create other
>distributions, using our cvs, bugzilla, testing tools and mailing lists to
>coordinate the effort.

I'd write this:

We currently plan to supply base distribution materials and a small number
of complete end-user distributions. Additionally, we will work with others
to use these base distribution materials to create other distributions,
using our CVS, Bugzilla, testing tools and mailing lists to coordinate the
effort.

>As of 2.2 (the coming release) we plan to provide:
>
>1) Windows Installers
>2) tarball packaging
>3) a basic RPM (dist, version independent)

I'd expand dist.

>4) Fedora RPMSs*
>5) RH7.3 RPMs (This is the last release we'll support RH7.3)

And expand RedHat.

>6) Slackware Packages*
>
>* These have been to date, unsupported by the AG Team at ANL, but as of this
>release we'd like to work with the developers doing the packaging to
>integrate this work into our standard development process. We can use the
>existing cvs, bugzilla, mailing lists and the testing framework in
>development.

* These have been, to date, unsupported by the AG Team at ANL. As of this
release, however, we'd like to work with the developers doing the packaging
to integrate this work into our standard development process. We can use the
existing CVS, Bugzilla, mailing lists and the testing framework currently in
development.