Shared rasmol code

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 31 17:41:10 CST 2003

I've got a first cut at the shared rasmol code working. This is mostly
entirely new; I'm now using the existing mechanisms within rasmol for
notifying clients of changes and for setting parameters, instead of adding
new network handling code. I've just made these mods on the Windows
version, though adding Linux support will be straightforward (as most of
the work is in the portable section of the code).

The python code is also structured rather differently, but is much simpler.

Rasmol itself is in the /home/FuturesLab/Software/CVSMaster repo, module
RasMol. The shared app is in the same repo, module SharedRasmol (yup, just
two files).

Performance is pretty good; with a lot of events sent there is a noticiable
latency thru the event channel with just two clients running; running a
test with just a TCP connection between doesn't show nearly the latency.

--bob