Directory sanity

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 21 13:49:43 CST 2003

I'd like to get a consensus on the overall directory structure for the AG
software as installed, as I'm getting quite confused trying to understand
the way things are now. This will also go toward making the path clear for
how to fully run the system from a CVS checkout.

I see the following classes of information that need to be stored (this
summarizes and repeats my earlier mail on the topic).

Per-user configuration. Client profiles, identity certificates,
user-specific trusted CA certificates, various per-user preferences.

Per-system configuration. Systemwide trusted CA certs, node service configs

Application code. The actual AG software, client code, server code, and
supporting libraries.

Service code. Services that are packaged up to be sent out as needed.

Downloaded service code. Local copies of services that are actually executed.

Service configuration information. Is this separate from per-system
configuration? Is there an issue of file-writability? That is, is only the
process that runs the services going to write to this information?

Am I missing anything? The next step is to assign each of these classes to
a standard directory on the system, and to define exactly what discovery
mechanisms there are for finding the correct information. My 3/7/03 mail
discusses a first pass at such an assignment.