persistent data

Susanne Lefvert lefvert at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 24 15:18:56 CDT 2003

Hi,

do any of you guys have any preference of how you want me to deal with
persistence of venue/personal data. It would be nice if that would be done
in the datastore independent of the venue/client but I guess the server
saves venue information in VenuesServer.dat so I don't know if that is
possible. I'm doing this now:

Store:
-----

--VENUE--
* dataStore.AsINIBlock returns a string with serialized data
* the venue calls this method in venue.AsINIBlock and adds the information
to its string
* the venueServer stores all venue's iniblocks in VenuesServer.dat

--PERSONAL--
* client calls dataStore.GetDataDescriptions and pickles it to a file

Load:
-----
* dataStore.LoadPersistentData([DataDescription]) updates descriptions in
the datastore (if they still are available) and changes url if necessary.
* the venue/client calls this method to load data from
VenuesServer.dat/myData.txt during startup.

I have a feeling this can be done in a better way but haven't figured it
out yet. Ideas are very welcome.

/Susanne