event/enter problem

Susanne Lefvert lefvert at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jun 13 09:23:09 CDT 2003

I have an idea again :)

If we, instead of using venueState returned from Venue.Enter, do a
separate GetState call after we entered and created the EventClient, then no
events get lost between enter and eventClient creation.  If we have the
eventClient creation, the GetVenueState call, and gui updates based on
received venueState within locks together with locks around all venueState
changes in event methods then the state should be stable, or...?

Like this:

Venue.Enter

lock
  EventClient(self.privateId,
	      self.venueState.eventLocation,
              self.venueState.uniqueId)

  Venue.GetVenueState()
  do all UI updates based on venue state
release lock

for all event methods, encapsulate VenueState changes in locks