Linux + ag

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 24 10:23:26 CDT 2003

[Some of these are skwewed toward access grid requirements I see, upon
rereading; for straight grid-ish stuff linux is certainly a lot better than
windows ...]

One thing that is missing on the media side is efficient mechanisms for
displaying multiple video streams on multiple display heads without bogging
the machine down; last I looked this is something that Windows via
DirectDraw does much better than Linux.

We also want, looking ahead, IGMPv3 support (for supporting SSM multicast)
in mainstream Linux. I think that might be on the way, but it isn't there yet.

Standard tools for distribution of code for ordinary mortals (i.e. not RPM)
is also an issue; there's not a commonly-used equivalent to windows
installer packages.

I don't know if those are what you were actually looking for, but they're
what come to mind offhand.

--bob