FW: Status of Win32 support for Globus Toolkit

Michael E. Papka papka at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 16 12:59:17 CDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Liming [mailto:liming at mcs.anl.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 12:51 PM
To: Bob Olson; Mike Papka
Cc: Rick Stevens; Ian T. Foster; Steve Tuecke
Subject: Status of Win32 support for Globus Toolkit

Mike, Bob:

We have found someone to help us get Win32 support in GT back in shape.  The
following statement of work is part of a contract that's currently with Jim
Feigl and Argonne's contract mgmt office.  We are attempting a sole source
justification to get someone that we know to do the work, and I hope this
goes through without complications.

I hope that we can get this started very soon.  When we have confirmation of
the contract awardee, I'll give you the contact info.  I believe that the
pieces that you need are included in the deliverables for the first three
months of the contract.  (See list of deliverables below.)  We've also
written DLL support into the six-month deliverables.  You'll probably want
to work some with the person doing this to make sure that we're doing things
the way you need them done.

           -- Lee

Statement of Work

The contractor will assist Argonne National Laboratory-Mathematics and
Computer Science Division's Distributed Systems Laboratory in the following
areas:

1) Clarifying and documenting the development environment, tools,
   and processes used to support the Globus Toolkit on Win32 platform.

2) Training DSL software developers in building, testing, and packaging
   the Globus Toolkit for distribution on the Win32 platform.

3) Porting the recently-rewritten Grid Security Infrastructure (GSI)
   implementation (a component of the Globus Toolkit) to the Win32
   platform.

4) Porting the new Globus eXtensible I/O (XIO) library to Win32.

5) Porting the Globus Toolkit's GridFTP libraries, clients, and
   services to Win32.

Specific Deliverables

All deliverables must be completed within the indicated timeframe unless
noted otherwise.

Deliverables due in 3 months:

--Written documentation (in *simple* form) describing the Globus Toolkit
Win32 development environment that enables developers to reproduce the
environment on a new system, including all software tools, configuration
settings, and build-specific data.  This development environment must
utilize Globus Toolkit source code from existing CVS repositories as the
starting point for software builds.

--Modified GSI code in the Globus Toolkit CVS archives that includes support
for Win32 as well as currently-supported platforms. (Note that GSI includes
both libraries and utility tools such as grid-proxy-init.)

--A new Globus Toolkit distribution (with minimal packaging) for Win32 that
includes at a minimum the Globus "Common" libraries, GSI libraries and
tools, Globus I/O libraries, and GRAM client libraries).  (Note that Globus
"Common", Globus I/O, and GRAM client libraries have already been ported and
tested in previous work.)

Deliverables due in 6 months:

--An updated version of the first deliverable ("written documentation")
listed above, reflecting any changes to the development environment that
have been made. (If no changes have been made, the first copy of the
documentation may be resubmitted.)

--Training for 2+ DSL staff members (DSL has the responsibility to identify
these individuals) in building, testing, and packaging the Globus Toolkit
for distribution on the Win32 platform

--(optional) Training for all DSL software developers on how to write code
on Unix that is easily portable to Windows.  (This is not required, but may
be useful to the contractor in minimizing new work due to other concurrent
development efforts.)

--Modified Globus Toolkit build procedure on Win32 that produces Win32 DLLs
(Dynamically-linked libraries) (*)

--Modified Globus XIO code in the Globus Toolkit CVS archives that includes
support for Win32 as well as currently-supported platforms (**)

--Modified version of new Globus I/O code based on Globus XIO in the Globus
Toolkit CVS archives that includes support for Win32 as well as
currently-supported platforms (**)

--Modified GridFTP code in the Globus Toolkit CVS archives that includes
support for Win32 as well as currently-supported platforms. (Note that
GridFTP includes libraries, utility tools such as globus-url-copy, and a new
GridFTP server based on Globus XIO.) (*)(**)

--A new Globus Toolkit distribution for Win32 that includes Globus "Common"
libraries, GSI libraries and tools, Globus XIO libraries, new Globus I/O
library (described above), GRAM client libraries, GridFTP libraries, tools,
and server.  NOTE: If any of these items are not completed by the end of the
contract period, they need not be included in this distribution.

Items designated above by "(*)" are eligible for renegotiation during the
contract period. If both contractor and Argonne National Laboratory are in
agreement, these deliverables may be removed from this contract or the
contract period (and funding) may be extended to allow more time to fulfill
them.

Items designated above by "(**)" depend on work to be done by Argonne
National Laboratory employees.  If Argonne National Laboratory does not
deliver the required dependencies, these deliverables may be removed from
this contract.

Reporting

The contractor will meet with DSL management at least once each month to
review progress and current issues and to coordinate concurrent development
activities.  These review meetings will be held twice each month during the
first two months of the contract.

Additional written reporting requirements are described in the "Specific
Deliverables" section.