[AG-TECH] certs/policy and testing (fwd)

Justin Binns binns at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 9 08:56:50 CDT 2003

This brings up an interesting issue - we've all along said that part of
what's good about AG2 is that each installation gets to decide which CAs
they trust, and which they don't.  But in practical terms, we distribute
two valid CA's with the distribution, and we may want to add more in the
future.  But we can't just add a CA for someone who's already installed
the software (obviously).  I suggest we have a new area on the website
that is a list of CA's that we know and like.  We can have their signing
policies and CA certs, and people can go download and install them into
their node installations (of course, this hinges on cert management that
is workable, or very clear and concise directions for adding CA certs to
windows/linux AGTk2 installs).  This'd make it easier to distribute
updated CA certs, add new CA's, and even post notices about CAs we no
longer like (for some reason, like the CA private key got compromised or
some such).

Justin