AG2 getting started page - fixes

Mary Fritsch fritsch at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 8 15:15:27 CDT 2003

So I have fixed jtvh link with 2.0 text updated June.

user getting started points to:
http://www.accessgrid.org/documentation/gettingstarted.html

under software, AG2.0 developer getting started page points
to:http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/fl/research/accessgrid/software/developers/index.html

tell me if this helps for now.... I believe one is specific for getting
started with software, the other specifically states support for  getting
started in the AG community after ag node is up and working....

At 02:53 PM 7/8/2003 -0500, Thomas Uram wrote:

>Going back to the original point, I see a couple problems.  Most notably,
>as Bob pointed out, the user "getting started" link points at the same url
>as the developer "getting started" page.  There's another reference to
>"getting started" that points at Jennifer's AG2beta text document; that
>needs to be fixed.  It's no big deal to fix these; Ivan pointed out that
>the permissions are open, so one of us can do it when we have a minute.
>I think manuals fulfill our obligation to the community, for the most
>part.  We have user manuals.  We're planning a developer manual.
>Anything beyond that can be satisfied by mailing lists, maybe ag-users for
>users, and ag-tech for developers.  Dividing the two is less important to
>me.  I think one list is okay, and it's good to have one big community
>where people can get answers and discuss.
>
>Tom
>

>Robert Olson wrote:
>
>>I was just reading this, the Users->Getting Started page, which is the
>>same as the developers' getting started page.
>>
>>http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/fl/research/accessgrid/software/index.html
>>
>>>Getting Started
>>>
>>>Outlined here are the instructions for getting started developing
>>>software related to the Access Grid. If you experience any difficulty
>>>with this process please send email to the AG-Tech mailing list so that
>>>we can address the problems.
>>>
>>>Get on the AG Tech mailing list.
>>>Get the pre-requisite software installed.
>>

>>I think there are a couple problems here.  We shouldn't be encouraging
>>people subscribe to ag-tech just to use the software (ag-users would be
>>more appropriate if anything), and it sounds like we're making ag-tech
>>the pathway to technical support, not a local MCS/AG developers' address.
>>(I'd been wondering why people kept writing to ag-tech with startup problems..)
>>
>>--bob

mary fritsch . futures lab . mcs . argonne national lab . 630 252 5297