thoughts on datastore

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 29 16:40:39 CST 2003

The current venues design document incorporates data elements in the venue
for (as I understand it) each piece of data (shared file?) that is in teh
venue.

I think that a better design point would be to separate the functionality,
and store a pointer to a data service in the venue for use by the clients
of the venue. This has the following advantages:

	Separates the API design of the venue and the data store

	Provides a clean mechanism for the data store to reside on a
	separate server machine.

	Keeps the venue server from just relaying calls from its public
	API to the separate datastore module, which will have such an API
	anyway.

Anyway, gotta run, will expand on these thoughts more as I work on detailed
design issues with the data store.

--bob