FW: [Systems Req #27539] support alias setup

Michael E. Papka papka at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 9 10:11:26 CST 2003

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene Rackow [mailto:rackow at mcs.anl.gov]
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 9:34 AM
To: papka at mcs.anl.gov; olson at mcs.anl.gov
Cc: systems at mcs.anl.gov
Subject: Re: [Systems Req #27539] support alias setup

Depending on how/why this is wanted, I might see where someone in FL space
would put together a script that would ask all the right questions to create
a message of the proper format to send into the system via email. Note that
this script would need to be updated every time a change was made to the
bugzilla server to add options/hardware/whatever.  Either that or full
backwards compatibility would need to be maintained which may not be
possible.  This script could be used as a reporting method.  ie user
downloads the software, then when a probable occurs they run "ag-bug-report"
which gathers up all the system info, fills in fields in the bugzilla form
and then emails the message into the system.

Then on the system here, there would need to be a mail processing script
that would check to see if the mail is from a registered user or not.  If it
is, just dump it into the system.  If not, reformat the message to make it
appear to be from a specific "anonymous" registered pseudo-user.  The real
from address would ened to be resaved into the body of the message someplace
for replys to get back to the original sender.

I think this would be lots more work than should be spent on this. We have
been seeing where most vendors are no longer taking email as a method of
initiating a problem.  They will take email as followups to the person doing
the work, but not the initial call. Web forms are much more popular, painful
as they may be at times.

-_Gene

Tisha Stacey made the following keystrokes:
 >Ahh, I see where this is coming from.  (Also, sorry, I'd forgotten  >about
the e-mail setup the DSL had.)  The script I'd seen (see the  >URLs from my
contrib/ directory, and it's that script plus  >some majordomo hooks that
the DSL uses.  >  >That being said, my two "warnings" still apply.  >
 >- Tisha
 >

 >On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Gene Rackow wrote:
 >
 >|I know what is needed for this.  It's exactly what DSL is doing with
>|the globus bugzilla stuff.  The mail server side of it is easy.  Make it
>|a majordomo list as open as possible for posting to it.  Closed/hidden
>|list for the most part so people don't subscribe to it.
 >|

 >|When a message is then posted to the address, majordomo archives the
>|message.  A process on the bugzilla server wakes regularly every X minutes
>|and checks the archive directory for new messages.  Anything it finds, it
>|pumps into the bugzilla input script.  I'm sure we could
steal^H^H^H^H^Hreuse  >|what Charles has done for the globus to make this
work.  >|  >|--Gene  >|  >|  >|Tisha Stacey made the following keystrokes:
>| >I'm not sure I completely understand what you and Mike want here.  I  >|
>assume what you mean is that you want e-mail sent to  >|
>ag-support at mcs.anl.gov get turned into a Bugzilla bug entry.  >| >  >|
>There is a third-party script that will add this function.  I have not  >|
>had any other requests for it, so I haven't installed or worked with  >|
>it yet.  However, I offer a couple warnings:  >| >  >| >1.  In order for
the e-mail message to get translated by Bugzilla into  >| >a valid bug
report, it must follow an exacting format.  For more  >| >information, see
this page (it was written by a non-native English  >| >speaker, so it reads
kind of strangely):  >| >

http://www.abisource.com/~sam/mozilla/webtools/bugzilla/contrib/bugmail_help
.html
 >| >	or http://snurl.com/jyw (for easy cutting & pasting)
 >| >
 >| >The sender of the e-mail must already be a registered Bugzilla user  >|
>and must have a pretty good idea of what valid field values are.  In  >|
>my opinion, this does not offer much of a shortcut.  >| >  >| >2.  From
what I can tell, this script hasn't been updated for over a  >| >year and a
half.  Since then, Bugzilla has been through several (some  >| >major)
revisions.  >| >  >| >We can still give it a try if you want, but I wanted
you to think it  >| >over first.  Thanks!  >| >  >| >- Tisha  >| >  >| >  >|
>On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Mary Fritsch wrote:  >| >  >| >|Per a request from Mike
Papka, I need to setup an alias, named
so