Opening URL Problem

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 7 13:45:38 CDT 2003

Hey Hiro,

That's a fine idea, we should discuss the best way to do this. Perhaps you
can write up a proposed solution and send it to ag-dev. We'll all look at it
and then we can discuss it and figure out the best path forward?

-Ivan

'http://www.accessgrid.org' and its MIME type is 'text/html' or someting
expected to be opened by IE, IE shows strange behavior.

When we click an 'open' item, IE adds "file://" prefix to the URL like
"file://http://www.accessgrid.org/" and trys to open the invalid URL. And
then, when we click 'opennew' item, IE deletes some characters from the tail
of the URL like "http://www.accessgri" and opens 2 or 3 windows.

The addition of "file://" prefix is caused by the configuration of DDE for
'text/html' MIME type.  It is configured as ["file://%1",,-1,,,,].

Regarding the cause of the deletion, I guess that it is wxWindow's bug as
far as I read the source codes of AG, wxPython, wxWindows and DDE documents
by MicroSoft and wrote a test code.

To fix the bug, I would like us to stop using 'wxTheMimeTypesManager'
function for opening URL or specific MIME types like 'text/html', and use
another way to execute a web browser.  If it is possible, I am thinking that
I will write such codes.

Thank you,
Hiroyuki Komatsu