New version of report

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 25 09:27:59 CDT 2002

Hi everyone,

I am working on a reply to the current concerns, but am currently
running exhibits at a conference here in Chicago, followed closely by
the birth of my son.  I will try to get something to you as soon as
possible; but it might be another 10 days or so.

A technical point that merits mention is AGNodes generate 1 audio stream
and 4 video streams, that makes voice switched video more difficult.
Second, the AG is designed for real continuous presence of all streams,
which is why there's a large format display. (this is to say your
comment is definitely fair). AG 2.0 addresses these concerns with
network services which allow the streams to be processed to provide
things like video stream selection, audio stream mixing, transcoding
8KHz to/from 16KHz, among others.  These specific services provide the
mechanisms to get the data formats to interoperate with H.323. However,
the call signalling is still a critical integration issue; this is why
the OpenMCU is useful. It allows the AG to interoperate in a very
seamless way with H.323 endpoints (polycoms, tandbergs, and yes even
netmeeting :-).

I'm particularly interested in why the OpenMCU isn't the solution the
VRVS team would like to see.  Indeed, Philippe and I have exchanged some
email back at the beginning of September, but I don't recall there ever
being any conclusion about the right technical solution then, so I'm
wondering what's changed.  Also, if this isn't the right technical
solution, I'd like to hear what is and why. It's very hard to have a
conversation about this without all the bits and pieces of information.

I'm mostly concerned at what interoperability means; from the AG
perspective we think it means that each participant can interact with
the other participants with the richest collaboration provided by their
endpoint, be it vrvs, H.323, AG node, or laptop.

I'm sorry about the timing on these things. I'll be working on a more
coherent reply as soon as I can.

--Ivan

PS -- I'm not particularly attached to the recommendation in the report,
but I'd definitely like to avoid removing too many concrete
recommendations or the report will sound too fuzzy to actually have high
value; I think there should be a range of recommendations from very high
level to very concrete.

Ivan R. Judson .~. http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~judson
Futures Laboratory .~.  630 252 0920
Argonne National Laboratory .~. 630 252 6424 Fax